As an artist I believe the piece you are creating is created with passion. You must be internally motivated to create an interesting piece that people will want to view. When frustration arrives in my work, I may have to step back and observe the situation. I will continue working or I may loose my motivation. At times frustration can close a person down and develop a block. Working to meet deadlines is tough for me. I may finish a piece only to find myself going back to change that one part. Seeing the endpoint or envisioning what the end will be, is important to me as an artist. I feel like I need that aspect and when it's not there I struggle. In the past in situations when I don't have an endpoint I continually adjust and readjust throughout the entire project.
As a teacher I challenge my student to do many of the things I struggle with as an artist. We work with negotiable deadlines in my classroom and know the consequences of unfinished work. When my students begin getting frustrated I am lucky to have small numbers so I can sit down, talk and work them through the problem. In the past I have had students who can't handle the help I try to offer so I let them know I'm here if they need anything and I walk away. When helping a student, I prompt them with questions, offer suggestions, and hopefully leave the final decisions to the artist. I want them to use their ideas and work through the problem to come up with a solution. Great problem solving strategies for them to learn. I have found in my classes that when a student takes my suggestions into consideration and then continues to work they usually find a better solution to the problem than the one I offered. They can do it, however sometimes they just need a little push.
No comments:
Post a Comment