Tuesday, February 5, 2013

VTS Unit

****Please Note****Work in Progress and open to all suggestions*****


Big Idea: Fantasy/Environment
            I want my students to look at environments that could be considered a fantasy.  Fantasy’s sometimes come from the imagination and are altered versions of our realities. 

Key Concepts (3-4):
·      Fantasy can be realistic or from the imagination.
·      Fantasy can reveal your personal emotions.
·      Fantasy is an individual experience.
·      Create a fantasy using a collage technique.
Essential Questions (3-4):
·      What makes something a fantasy?
·      Can a fantasy be realistic? 
·      Are all fantasies good? 
o   Could there be a bad fantasy? 
·      What kinds of people are in fantasies? 
3 Images:       
·      The Green House by Sandy Skolund
·      Drought Stricken Area by Alexandre Hogue
·      Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose by Sargent
Studio Activities:
·      Mixed-media collage using magazines/newspapers
·       ------I seem to be drawing a blank....art teachers block!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Fantasy is a great Big Idea for your students and the artists you've chosen are varied and fun.

    I wonder if you might revise the wording of your first key concept. If I understand it correctly, you are referring to realistic "appearing" imagery; for example Escher's "Drawing Hands"? If I understand it correctly, you might state it as "Fantasy can appear realistic or purely imaginary." I'd also limit your key concepts to the first 3; the 4th is more of an art making objective.

    You might also open up your fourth essential question by asking "What kinds of CHARACTERS are in fantasies?" This would leave it open to Skoglund's cats or foxes.

    You might have your students create drawings from their mixed media collages, stage a fantasy to photograph, or expand their collage idea into 3D.

    I'm excited by this unit and anxious to see how your students respond to it in their discussions and art making!

    ReplyDelete