Thursday, February 14, 2013

Image #1

Sandy Skoglund, Fox Games.

Critically reflect on Image #1. Reflecting on Yenawine, was this image an appropriate choice for the students?
I had trouble deciding what type of image I wanted to introduce to the students at the beginning of the VTS Unit I developed.  I wanted the image to be of an environment that is clearly a fantasy. Yenawine does not recommend the use of abstract images for beginning viewers so that ruled out some of the original artist I had thought of...Miro for example.  I would still like to include some Miro pieces within the unit, however I may not facilitate a VTS discussion over them.  The students will recognize the animals along with the people in the background.  I believe this image has a variety of possible stories within it.  

Did this image motivate rigorous and engaging discussion for students?
The students really enjoyed the Skoglund image.  This is the second Skoglund image they viewed do to technology problems with the video camera and the first image.  They all seemed to like to come up with new ideas and stories about the image.

Was the image rich enough to encourage continued discussion and or independent students investigation?  If so how might you provide for continued inquiry?
There were many different interpretations of the image.  They seemed to bounce ideas off one another throughout the discussion.  A few students came up with ideas about how the piece was put together..ie. A painting with cutouts of foxes on the top.  This could be an area for continued inquiry.

Did this image invite opportunities to explore the big idea through artmaking?
Yes.  The students were discussing the environment and how it was not completely realistic. 

Would you use this image again to introduce the big idea?  If so why?
Well, I would use The Green House first because that was a great image and the students discussed dreams and fantasy in the image.   They never brought these ideas up in the Fox Games image during out second discussion.

If Image #1 did not elicit what you were expecting, what image might you use in its place? 
 I explained this above.

1 comment:

  1. I found it interesting that your students discussed how the artist may have "pulled this off" with image overlays, etc. That's evidence that they are beginning to "distance themselves from the work" which indicates entry into Stage II.

    I also thought it interesting that dreams and fantasy that come up in the discussion of "The Green House" didn't come up in the second. I wonder if, being a home environment, they were able to identify with it more? That might be interesting to actually ask them! Very interesting!

    I know you were disappointed that the first Skoglund discussion wasn't captured, but at least you were able to determine that, when repeating this unit with new students, your first choice was dead on!!

    Great discussion!

    ReplyDelete