Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Blog Topic #13
The piece I chose worked well with the group of students I was working with. I believe the image was appropriate choice for the age, interests, stage and abilities. They are still looking for a story to tell about the image and also how it relates to their own life. Many of the students wanted to explain why the men were moving the items and if they were being loaded vs. unloaded and what that meant. One part of the image that the students questioned was what was under the blanket. One student thought it might be a woman and child trying to stay warm and protected from the weather. I would use this image again because the students had many great comments and ideas about the image. The biggest surprise to me was that no one mentioned the horses...not a single student. I'm sure they saw them..I think but none of the students thought they were significant enough to mention, I guess. That was quite intriguing to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I, too, would be curious about why the horses weren't mentioned. I would think they might be a clue that the picture showed a scene from a long time ago...but then, I'm thinking of city kids. Interesting!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHow many students did you work with? And how long? Did you said to your students that they might find other figures or things in the picture?
ReplyDeleteI think it might be possible small group of students can easily get stuck in one issues so they might not even notice other things which could also be meaningfully interpreted like horses. Or the reason they didn't mention horses because they are too familiar with the horese since they are all rural kids.
I thought, as you explained on blog topic #12, your students must be interested in this work of art because it also remind me the country side of Missouri. They could feel empathetic and be willing to share their experience with moving somewhere. It was a great choice!
I would have loved observing your VTS session, I plan on using the image with my groups. It will be interesting to compare what my rather nomadic military students have to say versus those from your more rural community.
ReplyDeleteI agree, this piece is perfect for the development of narrative. Stormy weather is universal!
@ Jooyoung I work with a 5th grade class of 10-12 students depending on the day. They did seem to see a person under the blanket. Many of them do see horses on a regular basis and weren't shocked by them. However I agree with Mary that it could have let to a conversation about it being many years ago. I also thought they might mention the Amish community because we have many Amish family in the Keytesville area.
ReplyDelete