Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Blog Topic #12

Thomas Hart Benton (1889-1975), Spring on the Missouri, 1945, American.  Oil and Tempera on Masonite Panel, 30 1/4 x 40 1/4 inches.
http://ncartmuseum.org/

I selected this image because I was intrigued with the Benton pieces at the museum and I believe my students will connect with the image.  I believe it is appropriate because they are all familiar with the rural setting being from a small town themselves and many of them can identify with the packing things up and moving.  This image will challenge the students to discover why the men are packing/unpacking the things in the wagon.  Also why their are only 2 men...shouldn't there be more people, maybe a wife and child?  The students will notice the men moving the things in the wagon and the house in the background flooded by water.  They will probably develop a narrative about a storm from the clouds and the muddy terrain in the foreground.  I believe they will be intrigued by the horses pulling the wagon and the dark colors in the sky suggesting a storm.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great piece! Benton is, of course, one of my favorite artists and his work lends itself so well to VTS. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete