Saturday, March 12, 2011

Read and React: 8

Creating Content--Images: Chapter 8
Young discusses the love of photography by our students.  Many teens and tweens find it fascination to take pictures of themselves, friends, and family.  Photography is also inexpensive compared to in the past.  Images are also easy to share.  There are hundreds of image/video sharing sites on the web today.  We need to educate our students on the correct use of these sites.  They need to respect others privacy and not post images of other individuals without permission.  There are many concerns as we have discussed in previous weeks with bullying, copyright and the students safety.  These are again important in this chapter and should always be addressed by the parents and educators.  

Media Sharing:  Chapter 10
This chapter discusses the site Flickr, which is a media sharing website.  Flickr is a site available to the public to use to upload photos to share with others.  It is a great place to store photos on the web without having to order or pay for the photos.  You can group your photos into albums and keep any photo 'private' from the public.  

React:
Many of my students love to take pictures.  We have a unit on photography in the beginning of our yearbook course to help students decide if they would like to be a photographer for the year.  I feel that they enjoy taking pictures, but soon realize shooting varsity basketball is not easy.  Using photoshop in the classroom setting is difficult.  I'm not even close to a pro, but am quickly learning from this class and other workshops I have participated in.  It is difficult to teach something I am not completely comfortable with, however I feel this improving quickly.  It is obvious what we use photoshop for in the yearbook class, but not as clear in my Art I/II course.  How could we use it?  There are many activities.  For example, it is a great program to apply filters to help the students see the tonal gradations on photographs.  I have seen this done on portraits and landscapes.  It would work on almost any image.  There are many uses for photoshop and would like to incorporate it into my fine arts courses.  

No comments:

Post a Comment