Friday, April 19, 2013

Image #5


 I decided to do a side-by-side series of images to see how the students would respond.

Critically reflect on Image #4. Reflecting on Yenawine, was this image an appropriate choice for the students?
Yes.  I feel the students could relate to the two images because they could recognize all the parts of the images.  The images also allowed for many interpretations and narratives to be developed by the students. 

Did this image motivate rigorous and engaging discussion for students?
They had some very interesting comments about this image.  They were defintely trying to figure out why I posted these together and assumed that they were connected in some way.  They found commonalities withint the two pieces which is an important skill they will need in many classes.

Did students transfer non-art content learning/understanding into the discussion?  If so give examples.
I did not present this as a compare and contrast situation.  I just asked them What is going on here?  They did compare and contrast as times and then went on to develop narratives as they have been doing. 

Would you use this image again to integrate non-art learning into the classroom?
I believe setting students up to use compare and contrast is great in any situation.  They really have to look at the images and dissect the information apart to find evidence to back up their ideas.  Ding Ding there is VTS!  These two images where fun and it was great hear their stories.
 
If Image #5 did not elicit what you were expecting, what image might you use in its place? 

***A little side note...thank god blogger saves...my 11 month old just shut firefox down.....At this moment..I love you blogger!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE using VTS as a compare/contrast strategy! It not only inserts a little more rigor into the discussion, but also enhances text complexity advocated by the Common Core State Standards through bundling of texts. Who knew? (I love it when we discover that our practice is dead on like that!!)

    ReplyDelete