Freedman's chapter titled, Curriculum as Process discusses changes in curriculum writing and a variety of forms to use when planning and designing a curriculum. Freeman states "several forms of curriculum should be included in instructional planning and design" (p. 113), there is not one specific way or form to be used because a strong curriculum draws from the strengths of all the forms. I've never seen curriculum broken down in these 'forms' she discusses but found it interesting. The first, Sequential, made sense, yes we build on previous knowledge. Teachers do this on a daily basis. Interactive relates the material to the student's world outside the school environment which seems to be what most teachers attempt to do so the students can relate the material to their personal lives. We are always explaining "why you need these skills when you graduate high school." Event experiences are a great way to make lasting impressions on student lives/memories, by providing them with the opportunity to view art in a museum setting (VTS!!) or attend a performance. Freedman discusses how a curriculum should include a "range of art knowledge" and begin "with key concepts rather than activities". I relate this to the concept of big ideas. When designing projects/units I attempt to find the big idea and create an art production activity to support the big idea. At time this is easier said than done for me when I have such a large range of lessons to develop, but over time I hope to accomplish this within my curriculum, which will always need some work. :)
I only touched on a small part of Freedman's chapter but I will now move onto Eisner's chapter six, discussing standards in the curriculum. Eisner hits on, once again, the idea of the arts integrated into other subject area. I found his second form of integration on page 155 interesting. This would take collaboration between staff member in all subject areas to work together and develop such a plan.
Standards...objectives...Yes we have to have them and need them but I love Eisner's statement "I have some reservations."!!! Yes me too. I absorbed this paragraph and believe I read and reread it a few times without realizing it. I feel that we are attempting to raise our children to be unique however we are moving towards a curriculum provided by the national government for all students to receive the exact same education (which has developed since Eisner wrote this text). I agree with Eisner and feel he is trying to say that even if we attempt to teach our students the exact same things, the background of the student will interfere therefore changing the results. We believe diversity and uniqueness are strengths of our nation (p. 163) but we are continually fighting this diversity and shaping our students in common ways. Does "one size fit all" (p. 163)? That is just one of Eisner's many arguments and opinions addressing standards and objectives.
I know that it is more difficult to design and teach are from big ideas but the outcome makes it worth the effort if we can get kids thinking with what Pink calls a Whole New Mind. Happily the national curriculum is being designed within this paradigm which gives the arts some flexibility in the often very structured, even constricted world of standards.
ReplyDeleteYes! I completely agree...the planning may take some time but the outcome does make it worth it. I've been working and chugging along with the big ideas. I'm very interested to see the national curriculum being designed. I've only seen small bits and pieces.
ReplyDelete